Roast Pork with Caramelised Onions
- 1kg pork rack / pork roast
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 C (750ml) apple cider
- At least 20 minutes before cooking - season the rack/roast with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Sear the roast in a heavy pan with olive oil until well browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the butter, sliced onions, ginger, cinnamon, and star anise. Slowly cook until onions are well caramelized.
- Add the maple syrup and cook for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with the cider.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce until a glaze forms.
- Place the roast in a roasting pan, and cover with half of the onion compote. Place into preheated oven.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 65°C (150°F). Approx 45 minutes per kilo.
- Halfway through cooking time, pour over the remaining onion compote.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Discard the cinnamon stick and the star anise.
Serve with baked potatoes and seasonal vegetables.